Are you looking for dedicated server hosting that gives you the resources to build a high-availability website?
A dedicated hosting service should give your website the foundation to withstand high traffic volume and provide 100% control over it.
We’ve tested dozens of dedicated hosting providers to determine if they live up to their promises. In our dedicated server hosting reviews, we’ll compare some of the best dedicated server hosting services available and also show you how to evaluate your needs to find the best dedicated hosting service for your website.
Before we take a look at the features and packages belonging to some of the best dedicated hosting services, it’s vital to understand what dedicated server hosting actually is and whether your website needs it or not. We’ll also take a look at a few other hosting options available on the market and how they differ from dedicated server hosting.
What’s Dedicated Server Hosting?
Dedicated server hosting is a single hosting environment that’s dedicated specifically to a single customer’s website.
It’s the best choice if you want to lease an entire server for your sole use so you’d get full control over it and its configurations.
With dedicated server hosting, you can choose the equipment used, including the RAM, hard drive, and processor used by the server. As the entire server resources are allocated to your site, it costs more than any other hosting option.
You’ll also have to delegate a system administrator who knows the ins and outs of managing a dedicated server so that your website runs smoothly.
Are you wondering whether dedicated server hosting is right for you? Below are a few examples of when dedicated server hosting could be the best option for your site:
- Anticipating growth: Your website’s gaining rapid traction in your niche and you expect it to outgrow your existing hosting plan in the near future.
- Need more bandwidth: You need to host large files that may consume more bandwidth and resources.
- Operating resource-heavy apps: You want to process resource-heavy scripts and applications.
- High security: You need to host your site in a highly secure environment without sharing server resources with any other websites.
Now that you have a basic understanding of dedicated server hosting, let’s take a quick look at some of the best providers you have to choose from.
Top 6 Best Dedicated Hosting Companies (Compared)
- RAM: 8 – 30 GB
- Disk space: 1 TB (HDD) – 1 TB (SSD)
- Bandwidth: Unmetered
- Website: HostGator.com
HostGator is one of the best dedicated hosting providers and lets you choose highly flexible hosting configurations. With HostGator’s dedicated hosting, you have the full system’s resources at your disposal.
With dedicated hosting, HostGator offers a minimum of 4 cores per server, 1TB of RAID storage, and between 4 and 30 GB of available RAM. They also provide you with data center level DDoS protection and an IP-based firewall.
- Both HDD and SSD hard drive options are available, which enables you to choose the best storage device for your site.
- Their portal includes 500 video tutorials and nearly 700 articles related to dedicated hosting.
- Both managed and semi-managed dedicated hosting options are available.
- The starter plan doesn’t offer SSD storage.
- Money back guarantee is not available for dedicated hosting plans.
- Their top tier plan only offers 1 TB SSD storage.
The pricing starts at $119.00 / mo.
- RAM: 4 – 16 GB
- Disk space: 500 GB – 1 TB (Mirrored)
- Bandwidth: 5 – 15 TB
- Website: Bluehost.com
Bluehost is an officially recommended hosting provider by WordPress.org. The best thing about Bluehost is that they own their own data center and regularly invest in top-notch hardware and infrastructure.
Additionally, Bluehost has the ability to instantly provision their dedicated servers, so you can get started immediately.
- Unlike most dedicated hosting providers, your drives are completely mirrored, ensuring your data is well-protected.
- You’ll get 30-day money back guarantee, so you can try out their dedicated hosting service risk-free.
- Free SSL is included with every plan.
- Their hosting plans aren’t as flexible as other providers. You can’t customize your hosting plan when you sign up for their dedicated hosting service.
- Free migration services aren’t available.
The pricing starts at $79.99 / mo.
- RAM: 16 – 64 GB
- Disk space: 480 – 2×960 GB
- Bandwidth: 10 TB
- Website: SiteGround.com
SiteGround is yet another popular dedicated hosting provider, which is independently run and has not been acquired by Endurance International Group, a leading web hosting company.
All hosting plans are fully managed, which means SiteGround will keep its software up-to-date, monitor your machine 24/7, and react immediately in case of an issue.
- You can choose your data center location when you sign up for a dedicated hosting plan.
- They offer fully managed servers, so you’ll always have peace of mind.
- Their amazing support team lets you reboot your servers upon request and provides a diagnosis in case of failure.
- No money back guarantee is offered for dedicated hosting.
- You’re locked into their offered plans. That means, as your site grows and needs evolve, you can’t upgrade your servers.
The pricing starts at $269.00 / mo.
- RAM: Up to 64 GB
- Disk space: Up to 2 TB
- Bandwidth: Unlimited
- Website: Dreamhost.com
DreamHost is an officially recommended hosting provider by WordPress.org. They offer fully managed dedicated hosting services for high traffic websites.
DreamHost’s dedicated servers are big enough to handle your requirements. Within the DreamHost control panel, you can add or remove, reboot or powercycle your servers per your needs.
- Offers more core, RAM, and storage than their competitors.
- 24/7 tech support and server monitoring.
- Free SSL certificate beyond 1 year.
- They don’t offer a specific plan that you can easily subscribe to. In order to set up a dedicated hosting account with them, you’ll have to get in touch with the sales team first.
- Live Chat support is only available during 5am – 10pm PST, 7 days a week.
- Phone support is not free. Although call back requests are available, you’ll have to subscribe to it separately either by making a one-off payment or buying a monthly subscription.
The pricing starts at $169 / mo.
- RAM: 8 – 64 GB
- Disk space: 500 GB – 3×1 TB
- Bandwidth: 6 – 15 TB
- Website: InMotionHosting.com
InMotion Hosting is one of the most popular dedicated hosting providers and comes with a lot of desirable hosting features for high-traffic websites.
When signing up for an InMotion Hosting plan, you can specify your custom server requirements such as specific software installations, clustered server setups, and more.
They also provide optional remote KVM access, which enables you to install and manage the operating system of your choice.
- They offer a maximum of 15 dedicated IPs.
- Every dedicated hosting plan comes with free launch assist, which provides you with free managed hosting service for 2 – 4 hours to get your server set up the way you want.
- Try their dedicated hosting service, risk-free for 30 days.
- They’re not early adopters of new technologies. For example, they were late in the game for Let’s Encrypt. Before that, they only supported free SSL via Comodo.
- Slow account setup because of their strict fraud prevention policies.
The pricing starts at $105.69 / mo.
- RAM: 16 – 64 GB
- Disk space: Up to 4 TB SATA backup
- Bandwidth: 5 – 15 TB
- Website: LiquidWeb.com
Liquid Web is a leading managed dedicated hosting provider. Their dedicated servers are completely customizable and can be run on various Linux distributions as well as the Windows OS.
With Liquid Web dedicated hosting, you get a minimum of 16 GB RAM, 5 TB bandwidth, 2 x 250 GB SSD primary storage, and a 1 TB SATA backup drive.
- Choose between single processor and dual processor dedicated servers.
- All dedicated hosting plans come with 24/7 proactive sonar monitoring.
- Choose between fully managed, core managed, or self managed servers.
- Costlier than other dedicated hosting companies.
- Money back guarantee isn’t offered with a dedicated hosting plan.
The pricing starts at $199 / mo.
Recap: Best Dedicated Server Hosting Companies
After our dedicated server hosting review, we’ve found that Bluehost is the best dedicated hosting provider on the market. They offer different pricing plans that perfectly fit your needs regardless of the size of your business. Each server is custom built in-house by their engineers using only the latest technology for maximum performance.
Best of all, you’ll get a speedy response from experts whenever you need help. In fact, Bluehost’s dedicated team works closely with the same engineers who maintain your server, so they’re able to troubleshoot any issues at a moment’s notice.
If you’re looking for a host that offers robust performance, uptime, and a complete set of extraordinary features at a fair price, then Bluehost is for you!
|VPS Hosting||Cost||RAM||Disk Space||Bandwidth||Support|
|1. HostGator||$119/mo.||8 GB||1 TB (HDD)||Unmetered||10/10|
|2. Bluehost||$79.99/mo.||4 GB||500 GB (Mirrored)||5 TB||10/10|
|3. SiteGround||$269/mo.||16 GB||480 GB (SSD)||10 TB||8/10|
|4. Dreamhost||$169/mo.||Up to 64 GB||2 TB||Unlimited||7/10|
|5. InMotion Hosting||$105.69/mo.||8 GB||500 GB||6 TB||9/10|
|6. Liquid Web||$199/mo.||16 GB||480 GB (SSD)||5 TB||10/10|
FAQs: Choosing the Right Dedicated Hosting Service
Having helped hundreds of users choose the right dedicated hosting service for their needs, we’ve found that people ask the same sort of questions again and again. This is why we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions, so you can find the best dedicated server hosting service for your site.
How does dedicated hosting work?
With dedicated hosting, you’ll get an entire physical server for your site, which gives you full control over its software and hardware without having to share its resources with any other site. Since you’re the only one using an entire server, renting a dedicated server is costly and you’ll need a high level of technical knowledge to maintain it.
What type of technical skills do I need to manage dedicated server hosting?
With fully managed dedicated server hosting, you only need to know basic knowledge of file transfers and application management since you’ll be provided with an easy-to-use custom control panel.
With unmanaged dedicated server hosting, you’ll need to have deeper knowledge of administrating and managing a server for optimized performance.
How do I know whether my site needs dedicated server hosting?
If your site is rapidly gaining traction among your audience and you think you’ll soon outgrow your existing hosting options, like VPS hosting, it’s probably the right time to switch over to dedicated server hosting.
What should I expect from a dedicated hosting plan?
A good dedicated hosting plan costs around $120. Bear in mind that pricing depends on the server specifications including CPU type, amount of RAM, and the disk space your hosting company provides. While it’s often recommended to choose a server plan that comes with the latest hardware technology, some hosting providers offer a huge discount on legacy servers.
Below are a few features your dedicated server plan should offer:
- Should be located in a highly-secured, monitored data center.
- Should offer managed and unmanaged server hosting.
- Should offer a maximum uptime guarantee (99.9%).
- Should offer 24/7 free premium support.
What are the differences between unmanaged and managed dedicated server hosting?
With managed dedicated server hosting, your hosting company is responsible for keeping your server environment secure, configuring it, and doing routine maintenance. That way, you can eliminate the expenses of hiring a system administrator and focus more on market opportunities and growth. Though you’ll still have to do some technical tasks yourself, the list is typically much smaller than if you were running an unmanaged dedicated server.
With unmanaged dedicated server hosting, you’ll need to have the technical expertise to operate your own hosting server. You’ll also be responsible for server admin tasks, configuration, routine maintenance, and keeping the environment secure. Comparatively, it’s a cheaper option than managed dedicated hosting and it gives you more flexibility and control than a managed dedicated hosting.
How much does it cost to purchase a dedicated server hosting plan?
Dedicated server hosting plans typically start at $120 per month. The price varies based on the server configuration offered by your hosting provider. If you need cheaper dedicated hosting, you might opt for a legacy dedicated server hosting plan.
Is my dedicated server hosting scalable?
Absolutely! You can easily scale up the capacity of your dedicated server to meet your needs. If you’re anticipating growth in near future, you can switch over to larger or additional servers.
Why does hosting support matter?
When it comes to website hosting, you never know when you’re going to get in trouble.
In fact, just because a web hosting provider has a satisfactory uptime score, doesn’t necessarily mean your site will be 100% secure and up around the clock.
When you discover any issues with your hosting server, you’ll want to contact your hosting provider instantly and get the problems resolved as quickly as possible. This can only be done if your hosting provider has an excellent track record of resolving support requests with no hassle.
SSD vs HDD: What’s the difference?
SSD stands for Solid State Drive whereas HDD for Hard Disk Drive.
In I/O Benchmarking tests, it’s been found that SSD provides twice as much as speed as HDD. SSD doesn’t have any moving parts and information is stored in microchips. On the other hand, HDD uses a mechanical arm with a read/write head, which makes it slower than SSD.
What are dedicated servers for games?
A gaming server is a dedicated server used for multiplayer game apps. The primary benefit is that, when you have a dedicated server for hosting your games, the server will be more stable than the game client itself. If you want to provide a better gaming experience, choosing a dedicated server is recommended.